One of the most important pieces of run gear you will ever have is the right pair of shoes! Making sure you're in the appropriate shoes for your individual anatomy and running from can help prevent pain and injury while helping you accomplish your running goals.
One way to get the right shoes that will work for you is to visit a local running store and have a knowledgeable associate do an assessment of your form. Then, they can help you find the right shoes for you. Some local running stores include RUNdetroit in Midtown (map) and multiple Running Fit stores throughout SE Michigan (locations).
Wear what's comfortable. A few things to keep in mind:
1. Plan on dressing like it is 20°F warmer than the temperature it will be when you're running. Typically you'll only need 1 layer of clothing when temperatures are above 55°F.
2. Try to wear tops that will wick away your sweat and allow your skin to breathe. Products like Adidas Climacool and Nike Dri-Fit work great. Most any brand of athletic tops should do the job.
3. You're going to want breathable running pants too. For women that want a conservative option that is also breathable, here is a product that's been found to work well:
Skirt Sports Women's Tough Girl Skirt
You can find more about running gear at "The Well-Dressed Runner"
COLD WEATHER GEAR
When the weather starts to dip below 40°F, you're going to want to be ready. Here are a few pointers:
1. As with warmer weather running, you're still going to want gear that will wick away your sweat. Many brands make cold weather running gear that will help keep you warm while helping move sweat, like Nike Pro Hyperwarm and Under Armour ColdGear. You can also begin to layer your warm weather gear.
2. A waterproof, windproof outer shell will help on wet or windy days.
3. Get a good pair of running gloves.
4. Wear a hat or cap, preferably one designed for runners that will help keep you warm while wicking away your sweat.
5. Some people opt to use a mask that can help warm the air they breath in. Here are a couple options:
The Trendy Swede Face Mask Sports Balaclava
Nike Pro Combat Hyperwarm Hydropull Hood